Monday, July 25, 2016

Taipei City - 金峰魯肉飯 JinFeng pork and rice

Value for money: 10/10
Cleanliness: 7/10
Service: 9/10
Quality of food: 9/10
Overall: 9/10

I came here a while back and didn't review it, but not because it isn't worthy of a review, I just haven't been back for aaaaaaaaages. Well, here we go, this place is just as good as the picture suggests it's going to be.




Just like pretty much any really decent Taiwanese place, it get's silly busy on a weekend. However, this was on a Thursday at 12:00... I waited around 5 mins in the 内用區 nèi yòng qū  (eat in area), or you could choose to take out by lining up under the sign that says -  外帶區 wài dài qū (take out area). 



Way too hot for soup, personally, but I am sure it is alright...


This area makes me smile with glee, makes my belly rumble and also makes me fear for my arteries all in one simultaneous second. 


Oooohhhhh, ahhhhhh


They're definitely not winning any awards for cleaniliness based on this picture. However, they are aware that people are lining up outside and swoop in before you've barely swallowed your last mouthful to clean up and keep things moving.


Ok, let's take a look at the menu. You can have: noodles 麵 or 米粉 or 冬粉 (normal noodles, rice noodles or thick bean noodles), rice 飯, soup 湯, tofu 豆腐, vegetables燙青菜 or 筍乾 (braised vegetables or bamboo) or even chicken done in various ways - 人蔘雞 Ginseng chicken,蛤蜊雞 Chicken with clams,鳳梨苦瓜雞 Pineapple and bitter melon chicken

Bottom line - spoilt for choice!


Here's what I ordered for a quick lunch:

1. 魯肉飯 (中碗) lǔ ròu fàn  (zhōng wǎn )
Braised pork over rice (medium bowl) 
$40


2. 焢肉 kòng ròu 
Belly pork
$35






1. 魯肉飯 (中碗) lǔ ròu fàn  (zhōng wǎn )
Braised pork over rice (medium bowl) 
$40


Deliciously silky fat cuts through delicate pork and a thick gravy layered on top of this bowl of lovely rice. I used to think rice was just rice, but it definitely isn't. If you go to one of the many 'buffet' places dotted around your neighborhood, you'll know that familiar soft and tasteless rice.


Here, expect nicely cooked rice, steaming hot and clean - delicious.







2. 焢肉 kòng ròu 
Belly pork
$35


I am a huge of fatty pork, but I haven't seen this depth of colour before on a piece of belly pork. It falls apart when you touch it and the fat just melts in your mouth the way you want it to. There's a slightly aromatic flavour mixed in with a light Chinese spice flavour. It ticks all the boxes, for my liking!



I didn't get any vegetables this time, but I should've done!


Here's my instagram post from a different time I visited, where we ordered the 燙青菜 and 筍乾 with the 油豆腐 (oily tofu). I won't order the tofu again, as it wasn't anything special. But the bamboo and the other veggies were both delicious.






臺北市中正區羅斯福路1段10號 

No. 10, Roosevelt Road, Section 1, ZhongZheng District, Taipei City



Happy Eating!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home