Monday, January 09, 2017

Taipei City - 吉峰 香菇魯肉飯 - JiFeng mushroom and pork

Value for money: 7/10
Cleanliness: 6/10
Service: 7/10
Quality of food: 6/10
Overall: 6/10


I'm a sucker for this stuff, I think in my past life I was Taiwanese...


An unassuming place.


I enjoy watching them plate it up as the gravy drips down the side of the bowl and onto the rice. It just looks gluttonous, don't you think?



It could do with a make-over, but I guess it does the job.


The menu, and what we ordered:


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mushroom and pork gravy over rice
香菇魯肉飯 (小)
xiāng gū lǔ ròu fàn 
$30
A solid start. When it arrived, you could smell the gravy and the mushrooms. It's clearly been cooked for a long time, and for a small bowl, this one was packed full of both rice and gravy. I was quite happy, indeed. As for the flavour: it wasn't overly salty, but it still had plenty of flavour coming through from the pork and mushrooms. Expect to chow down on silky smooth fat - yum!


Oily Tofu
油豆腐
yóu dòu fǔ 
$15
A poor translation, but nonetheless, not a bad dish. I probably wouldn't order it again, as I have had better elsewhere. But, it's still alright. There was too much sauce for my liking, but when you've let the salty sauce drain off, the flavour from the tofu is just fine.


Bamboo shoots
筍絲
sǔn sī 
$25
Again, it isn't going to set the world alight with news of incredible bamboo, but it's a tasty way to get your veggies in for the day.


Squid

魷魚焿
yóu yú gēng 
$50
I do enjoy squid, this one was very distinctly average, though. My recommendation: don't bother. Check out RaoHe nightmarket's squid stall, instead.


Pork belly soup
豬肚湯
zhū dǔ tāng 
$50
It's tough to decide whether this or the mushroom and pork gravy over rice are the best dishes, so why not just have both? It's no secret that I love me some pork belly (I even cooked it for Christmas day!), and done this way in individual soup pots really intensifies the broth flavour and forces the meat to become effortlessly delicate. The flavour is good, the texture is good and the soup is clean and lovely - top marks.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My final thought
If you're in the area, then drop by. If you live far away, then there are possibly better alternatives if your craving is for the pork gravy over rice, such as: JinFeng in GuTing or ChangJi pig blood soup near YuanShan


Tel:
02 2579 5606

台北市松山區八德路3段144號

No. 144, BaDe Road, Section 3, SongShan District, Taipei City




Happy Eating!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home